The Passive House Institute has announced the launch of two new certification categories, Passive House Plus and Passive House Premium, which recognise on-site renewable energy generation.
Full details in Passive House+ magazine HERE
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE ANDROID VERSION OF THE APP You can also download the app by clicking on the App icon to the right.
Below are a few screen grabs that show the key features:
• Scalable high resolution graphics for all Android phones and tablets
• Ability to enter your own materials, thicknesses and conductivities as opposed to searching in scrolling lists
• Calculates for floors, walls, roofs and ceilings and adjusts the interior and exterior thermal resistance values accordingly (in accordance with DIN EN 6946 Section 5, Chart 1.)
• This release is on Android, iOS released Easter 2015
• Includes settings for underground wall, rain screen or warm/cold roof constructions
• Information/settings screen
• Ability to reset all values or delete individual lines
• Adheres to Passivhaus methodology of calculating U values (excluding thermal bridging – see below)
• Links to TeachPassiv.com and additional Passivhus resources, news & FACT SHEETS
• This version totally free of charge
Why did we create the app? I was looking for a simple U value app that gave the ability of quickly entering data, allowed a quick comparison between different constructions/insulation and supplemented the PHPP U value calculations (the app is not intended to replace PHPP). I found that the app didn’t exist and we (myself and my coding maestro son Conor) decided to fill the gap in the market.
The app is free of charge and is used as a marketing aid for TeachPassiv.com and the architecture and Passivhaus Design Practice Mark Stephens Architects
The app does not currently take account of thermal bridges, this is going to be addressed in a subsequent version.
If you find any bugs or inaccuracies in the app, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
You can read the Privacy Statement regarding the app HERE
The app is not supported or endorsed by the Passivhaus Institute, does not replace the U value calculations in PHPP and is for entertainment purposes only e&oe.
I wrote this earlier today on whether Passivhaus meets Part L of Building Regs
I contributed THIS OPINION PIECE to the BregsForum last year concerning Part L compliance of the Building Regulations. In it I said:
“The only way numerically (currently) to assess conformance with Part L of the Building Regulations is via the Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) software. It is this software that allows the user to input the following:
Ventilation details (Chimneys, ventilation type, air tightness etc…)
Building elements (Construction types, u values areas etc…)
The software on completion can give conformity results on U-values, renewables, primary energy use and CO2 emissions. The conformity with the Building Regulations is given in a straightforward green check (tick) or red cross. “
According to a recent article in passive house+ magazine this advice has now been superseded. In the article Dr Brian Motherway, the CEO of Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) states:
View original post 600 more words
Link below to all 5 posts from Elrond Burrell on ‘What do you love most about Passivhaus?’: